Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

On 11/03/2021 11:34, tim... wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
Tricky Dicky explained on 10/03/2021 :
Whereas a Haynes manual might recommend using a Castrol grease tin
to drift in a bearing, no such chance with the official manual.

Cars have become very much more complex,

But require much less routine maintenance and
usually tell you with an error code what the car
has decided has failed sensor wise etc.

mine just indicated it was a choice of sensors

the garage said, we can guess and if we guess right first time it will
cost you 80 quid

if we guess right last time, it will be 5-600

for a car that was only worth 1000, I was forced to scrap it (150 scrap
value, drove it until the next MOT/Service required so that would have
been another 200 cost)

Mine is showing a wonderful array of faults...'gearbox fault/handbrake
fault/DSC not available/cruise control not available/'

Apparently it may be a combination of a brake switch that was
subsequently modified and needs upgrading to later spec, and my habit
of left foot braking and mashing the loud pedal together, to force an
upshift...

It goes away after two reboots. I will try no left foot braking and see
if it comes back ;-)

However, a plethora of sensor faults usually indicates something else -
low battery voltage is a classic.

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.