Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference? If an SMD integrated circuit goes
wrong in a TV, will making the SMD itself available make the TV "more
repairable"? How much will it cost? How much would the complete circuit
board with SMD already fitted cost? Isn't the latter what's done at
present? It seems to me the manufacturers will just charge what they see
fit for the replacement part, no doubt with an exorbitant P&P to cover
"administrative costs".

Playing a green card without cost to the Govt?

Planned obsolescence has been a factor in maintaining employment for so
long, I can't quite spot where this is going.

I can given so little except cars is manufactured in the UK now.

Unreliable imports from Turkey used to prop up repair activities here?

Not many votes in telling manufacturers to give longer free guarantees?