Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Sandbags for slope stabilistion

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 06:43:01 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 March 2021 at 13:06:02 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/03/2021 12:59, AnthonyL wrote:=20
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:29:24 +0000, Tim Lamb=20
wrote:=20
=20
In message , Andy Burns=20
writes=20
AnthonyL wrote:=20
=20
I've got no ready way of getting up there=20
even if I wanted to cut the shrub down.=20
=20
Abseil from the bus-stop?=20
=20
No ladder available?=20
=20
A search on slope retention gets any amount of civil engineering hits=

=20
but little affordable/installable by a householder.=20
=20
I know this is d-i-y but no interest from your house insurers?=20
=20
=20
At the time, winter, wet, and suffering from a bad cold I had not=20
appreciated how bad it was. I did have a quick look at the insurance=20
policy and saw a =C2=A31000 excess so I thought I'd leave it and see wh=

at I=20
could do myself. I've now let more than a year go, changed insurance=20
company and realised how much there is to be done. 3 year project I'm=

=20
guessing.=20
=20
You need a rot proof grid which can be pegged securely to the slope,=

=20
trapping sliding soil but allowing plants to grow anchoring the surfac=

e.=20
=20
=20
=20
18# agricultural Rabbit netting might serve to create in situ gabions.=

=20
(roll out some netting, lay on some suitable stone to the lower half a=

nd=20
then fold the top down and secure).=20
=20
=20
I've not got up high enough to see how hard the rock is and whether I=

=20
can stick some pegs in. If I can then I can start looking at=20
establishing some levels. I suspect all the loose soil has descended.=

=20
=20
=20
Throw on some soil to encourage plants and do another row higher up...=

..=20
=20
=20
Yes once I can stop that soil from ending on the path again with the=20
next rains/storms (tomorrow/Thursday?).=20
=20
I wonder if I can start a small abseiling/free climbing business?=20
=20

Why not hire a BIG digger for a while and remodel the whole area?=20
=20
=20
--=20
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as=20
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.=20
=20
(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Anthony what are you wanting to do, is it simply to clear the path or do so=
mething with the slope which quite frankly to me looks like a losing battle=
? Unless you are prepared to do some major groundwork=E2=80=99s with the in=
ability to get machinery in being a major constraint. That slope looks like=
it will give you constant problems and it might be better to learn to live=
with it. Perhaps re- laying the path on top of what has slipped down with =
an additional step or two up to the new level might be the simplest if just=
preserving the path is the issue.

1) I need to clear the area to the right of the path which has my
squashed shed against a tree, a tree that is nigh on horizontal and
another tree that is leaning precariously against an unaffected tree.
Some of this is just slog and in the process I will have cleared the
path that goes up one side, across and down the other.

I have a logistics problem of what to do with all the material, that
might be partly solved depending on what I do with 2)

2) If anything else slips from above it will have a clear run to the
path and then to the garden below. Thus far it seems that a mixture
of gabions, sandbags and judicious reseeding might help stablise the
upper part. I plan to fill the sandbags with the soil/clay that has
come down and use them in conjunction with the gabions to builld an
intermediate level above the existing retaining wall. I'm hoping also
to use some of the trunks of one of the damaged trees to help form a
horizontal barrier.

Hopefully once I get up to the exposed areas I will be able to gauge
how solid or otherwise it is as well.

If all goes well I'd like to re-establish a shed/hide-out.

It's going to take a while.

To the earlier poster's suggestion of getting a digger, there is no
way. I have not access from the road, I have no access from above,
there is no way for the digger to get up to the top of the back.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?