View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default It's like a new jointer

I have a powermatic 54a jointer (6" long bed) purchased new in 2003. It's always worked consistently and as designed. But it was the least used power tool in my shop. It's noisy and requires more attention to stock handling for consistency. There's nothing wrong with it - just the nature of the beast, probably like other straight blade jointers.

I have a small shop and the jointer got relegated to a side wall. I had to wheel it out and plug up the dust hose every time I used it. Its like docking a battleship. I have been known the use my Stanley no. 7 hand plane, rather than tackle setting up the powermatic.

A couple of months ago, on a lark, I installed a Byrd tool helical head. Whoa! -- quiet, precise, easy to use. The jointer is now sitting in a fixed accessible location with a fixed dust connection. I have used it more in the last month than I have in the last 15 years. I did not realize how wonderful it is to have consistently square and flat wood. My table saw and planer do a lot of good, but the jointer is better for many jobs.

Bob