Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

On 10 Mar 2021 at 10:26:26 GMT, "John Walliker" wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 March 2021 at 09:43:52 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/03/2021 08:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference?

Hopefully.

Apple needs to change its ways.

In contrast, Dell provide detailed downloadable service manuals for their
computers.
It is also often possible to buy spare parts, either direct from Dell or from
places
like eBay.

The BBC need to do some explaining. I have a Samsung TV which used to
support
iPlayer but this capability was removed, apparently at the request of the
BBC, because
its performance was not adequate. I was perfectly happy to accept occasional
crashes in preference to not having it at all. (I know there are other
ways...)

John

It would be interesting if all software sellers were required to support
Windows 95 and 16MB of RAM.

--
Roger Hayter