Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Sandbags for slope stabilistion

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:29:24 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Andy Burns
writes
AnthonyL wrote:

I've got no ready way of getting up there
even if I wanted to cut the shrub down.

Abseil from the bus-stop?

No ladder available?

A search on slope retention gets any amount of civil engineering hits
but little affordable/installable by a householder.

I know this is d-i-y but no interest from your house insurers?

At the time, winter, wet, and suffering from a bad cold I had not
appreciated how bad it was. I did have a quick look at the insurance
policy and saw a £1000 excess so I thought I'd leave it and see what I
could do myself. I've now let more than a year go, changed insurance
company and realised how much there is to be done. 3 year project I'm
guessing.

You need a rot proof grid which can be pegged securely to the slope,
trapping sliding soil but allowing plants to grow anchoring the surface.

18# agricultural Rabbit netting might serve to create in situ gabions.
(roll out some netting, lay on some suitable stone to the lower half and
then fold the top down and secure).

I've not got up high enough to see how hard the rock is and whether I
can stick some pegs in. If I can then I can start looking at
establishing some levels. I suspect all the loose soil has descended.

Throw on some soil to encourage plants and do another row higher up.....

Yes once I can stop that soil from ending on the path again with the
next rains/storms (tomorrow/Thursday?).

I wonder if I can start a small abseiling/free climbing business?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?