Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Sandbags for slope stabilistion

In message , AnthonyL
writes
On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 03:42:56 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

On Monday, 8 March 2021 at 11:13:51 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
The upper part of the back garden is quite steep and during one of the=20
storms early last year a whole heap of shrubbery, earth slipped down=20
and over the retaining wall. A couple of trees were dislodged also.=20
=20
There is a lot to clear up and I'm wondering about putting the=20
dislodge earth into sandbags and putting on top of and then behind the=20
retaining wall. This has the advantage of finding somewhere to put a=20
ton (guessing) of clay type soil, helping to stabilise against further=20
soil erosion and maybe helping to provide a platform to climb up and=20
maybe seed some suitable ground cover.=20
=20
I guess I don't actually want it "flood proof" as I'd not want rain=20
build up behind.=20
=20
So do you think the plan is workable? And what of the many varieties=20
of sandbag would be most suitable? It'll hopefully be there for a=20
while.=20
=20
Any other tips?=20
=20
--=20
AnthonyL=20
=20
Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

You might be better off using Gabions filled with stone. You do not need th=
e enormous type you often see on motorways there are a variety of sizes. Ju=
st the facing side needs to be aesthetically arranged and the back filled i=
deally with limestone chips although any old rubble will do. They will let =
water through so no drainage problems and if you leave pockets of soil you =
can even get a few creepers to take hold.

Thanks, looks a good shout and am tempted to mix and match with
sandbags. I'll have a closer look.

Hard to find a cheap woven plastic claiming UV protection.

Those big bags used for bulk deliveries last about 18 months in the
Sun:-(

--
Tim Lamb