Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default OT: Getting a tradesman

On 05/03/2021 13:28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 12:35:41 +0000, tim... wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 19:51:39 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Are insurance backed guarantees a good thing?

They sound impressive don't they ?

In theory they are supposed to outlive the firm that did the work.

In practice I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone can report ever
claiming successfully on them.

OTOH

I can assure you that there is nobody who has claimed on an installer
guarantee, after the company goes bust

BTDTGTTS

I didn't need to do any research to know that.

If it's something that is a deal breaker for some, fair enough. But I've
worked for an insurance company. And I can still recall my Dad being
asked by an insurance company in the 1970s the most reliable parts of an
engine, since they had to underwrite the warranty for the dealers and
needed to ensure they only covered the bits that never failed. ISTR they
started with the crankshaft.

Mk1 diesel Landrovers tended to break their crankshafts