Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pondering drafting and other "old techs"

Clare Snyder on Thu, 04 Mar 2021 11:46:10 -0500
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

All that is a long way of saying, some times a drawing just needs
to have general shape and overall dimensions, some times you get out
the drafting kit "just because" you want a precise drawing of the
thing.
And we're back to one of my hobby horses, "how precise is enough?"
If I'm painting a room, do I need to know that wall is 365.8 cm long,
or will 3 1/2 meters do? Does _this_ drawing have to be "to scale" or
"exact shape", or is 'close enough' sufficient.

It's nice to know if all your parts can be made from the material at
hand, and that the various parts will fit together properly before the
"oh ****" when you have to go buy more material and start over -
particularly in these times when material prices are SO inflated.
A "decent" dimensioned drawing helps figure these things out - even
if it is not "accurately to scale". I'd call it a "dimensioned
assembly drawing" with the dimensions and locations of things like
dados and rabbets clearly located and dimensioned - edge clearances
determined, etc. That doesn't need autocad or a fancy frafting machine
but a good scale / ruler etc IS handy - IOW - not just a "sketch" on a
napkin or box-top.

Exactly - "If it works, it ain't stupid."
I've done overly produced drawings for stuff mostly because I had
the time (and in the one case, I wasn't going to get to the making
till _after_ the rainy season ended.) But as you said "decently
dimensioned". And when you're the design department and the shop
lead, it is easier to just 'wing it'. "Let it flow organically." (I
was reorganizing the front room into a more better 'office space'. and
actually heard myself say "Okay, those shelves there, then this here
and then we'll see how the rest flows organically. Did I just say
'flows organically'?")

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.