Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Ethanol

Jeff Layman wrote

Possibly, though unlikely. Bioethanol is made from fermentation of sugar
(from cane). Sucrose is said to be slightly soluble in ethanol (about 1 in
170), so I wonder if any could be carried over in the final stage
distillation process.

Nope, not with a proper reflux still and thats what all industrial
processes use.

If it was, and that was burnt, it could account for a caramel odour. I
would very much doubt it, though, and it would need a very sensitive nose
to detect it.

He gets that from the dog genes that are
the result of his more unspeakable ancestors
doing unspeakable things with dogs.

Beats the NZers tho, they just get funny voices and weird hair.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Can you explain though why there is a different smell to the exhaust on
Ethanol powered cars. Its like its sweet and almost sugary on the tip of
ones tongue, or is this just me and my peculiar sense organs!