Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default OT: Getting a tradesman

alan_m wrote:
On 03/03/2021 11:37, Theo wrote:
Robert wrote:
Ask another tradesman who you trust and have done business with for
suggestions.
Try to find out who local letting agents use .

Letting agents who are known for their high quality workmanship, and
absolutely not for lowest-cost tendering to suit their absentee landlord,
yes?

Is this from personal experience?

Oh yes. I have some stories...

I know someone who owns multiple rental properties and was ripped off by
allowing the letting agent be responsible for arranging maintenance and
repairs which was done to a very poor standard. The properties are now
maintained by a directly employed builder/handyman when required and over
the past few years the previously shoddy work has been replaced to a much
better standard.

For that sort of thing I'd expect a stream of photos of work done, rather
than a stream of invoices for work allegedly done but nobody checks.
(Tenant complains of X, agent sends somebody round, agent gets a bill, agent
pays bill - never checking with tenant that somebody turned up and fixed the
issue)

Theo