Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

Default Troy-Bilt TB146 EC cultivator gas tank hoses

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 06:38:36 -0800 (PST), trader_4 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know that the Arnold stuff doesn't fit. I wasn't aware that HD
had it when I was looking for hoses and as I said, I got mine from China. But I
found out later that HD had some kind of assortment that was supposed to fit
many engines. IDK if it was Arnold, but probably it was. Now I know if I need
hose again that doesn't work.

The only way the Arnold kit is going to work is if you buy two of them.
Even so, it seems the return line gas tank hole is ever so slightly smaller
so I'm still not perfectly sure they're supposed to be the same OD & ID.

I ended up with using the larger Arnold hose for the supply line (the hole
furthest from the engine) and the Everbilt hose for the return line.

The holes are below the gas tank fill line so they need to be a tight fit.
It's a dumb design if you ask me (but nobody asked).

Another factor is how long they last. The China
stuff lasted maybe two years before breaking again. I would hope the Arnold
stuff is better. That's another factor, not only the size but if it lasts. I guess the
best thing is to pay some more $$ and get the official Troy-Bilt hoses.

I have no experience with this but I agree that if they only last a few
years that they are crap since a (Japanese) car fuel line lasts a decade.

As someone said it's only hard when you first do it where I think I could
halve the time in the second attempt if I remember all that I did.

I'd use the wire next time to pull the hose through the gas tank instead of
pushing it in and pulling it with longnose pliers.

And I'd try to get a slightly larger ID than 3/32" but I don't think there's
any way anything larger than a 3/16" OD would fit into the gas tank holes.

It would be nice to hear from everyone regarding how long your lines last.

The other problem I have with this cultivator is that it starts nicely on
choke and it runs ok on position 2 but I can't get it to not stall on
position 3 (wide open throttle).

Also the tines churn whether or not I press the handle so there's a pull
wire adjustment I need to make somewhere.