Posted to sci.electronics.repair
World wide137 World wide137 is offline

Default Need Help Identifying Ceramic Capacitor

Peter - Thank you for the explanation, I had a heck of a time looking for this on Google. I guess, I wasn't sure on how to search for it. Searching for what was printed on the actual capacitor did not bring up much. Here is a picture of the whole thing. This capacitor is run across the the two chokes. Cheers. -Norm

http://printque.us/IMG_5103.jpg

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 8:47:57 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
That looks very much like an older ceramic safety capacitor. 2X today would be written as X2. That being "X-type, Ceramic Class 2". Their purpose is to minimize EMI/RFI interference - something that makes sense in an SG.

The X means that it is to go between the line-cord leads (hot and neutral). 2X means it will tolerate a peak voltage pulse of 2,500 while in operation.

More explanation he https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tec...-y-capacitors/

Mouser-available Vishay-made device he https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4...5r-1762222.pdf

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA