Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas supply to new boiler - legalities?

On 03/03/2021 11:22, bert wrote:
In article , Robin
writes
On 02/03/2021 23:57, Fredxx wrote:

snip
Â*If you know the kW of your boiler you would be able to calculate the
size of pipe you actually need. In domestic situations with limited
pipeÂ* runs 22mm copper pipe is a safe bet, plus to save embarrassment
to GasÂ* Safe installer Gas Safe have made a blanket requirement to
combis whereÂ* they must be piped in 22mm. Though I would be happy to
have the lastÂ* sectionin 15mm.

I don't want to give false hope to the OP who may well need a new gas
pipe.

But I've seen before on some sites that "Gas Safe regulations now
state that gas supply pipes from the meter to a combi boiler must be
at least 22mm". Smelt to me like a way to get more work and avoid the
bother of calculating pressure drops.Â* Gas Safe have no power to make
regulations.Â* And while the Gas Safety (Installation and Use)
Regulations were amended in 2018 I can't see anything in them about a
minimum pipe size. Have I missed something?

Only that when combi boilers first appeared a lot of installers used the
existing 15mm which was then found to be inadequate.

Yet another reason why combis are ****.

My peak hot water requirements are easily met with a mains pressure
cylinder allowing me to use a mere 12kw boiler.
You need around 50kW to get a decent hot water supply.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels