Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Micro Adjustment of Table Saw Fence in increments as small as0.001 inch. Demonstrated on SawStop T-Glide

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 5:39:45 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2021 5:15 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
Moving a table saw fence by very small amounts can be hit and miss.
With a dial indicator at the right location on the fence, I found it is
easy to tap the fence and move it by 0.001 inch at a time. ...

You do have a SawStop, right?

I have the ICS model and the Fence rule is good enough. Sometimes I use
a steel rule when setting the fence with a stacked dado.

When do you, need more accuracy than that?

I've built bookshelves with sliding-dovetail shelf connection,
(actually half-dovetail) with that kind of precision (using feeler gages
which is why the half-dovetail is employed; the test shelf is
puzzle-box tight with 0.017" feeler, so the fence needs to move
0.017").

My jig for making the slots is not adjustable, but shrinks and swells
with humidity (I've made a MDF spacer that gets clamped into it
during storage, or it might warp as well).

It's also good for fine-tuning dadoes before gluing... don't want to
waste good white glue in a gap!