Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT: Objectifying animals. (Inc using their bodies as seats).

On 02/03/2021 20:31, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 17:01:41 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
Maybe if I had been raised a vegetarian or vegan I'd not hate vegetables
as
much;

Or if you listened to the advice you will have been given all your
life by all nutrition experts and health professionals re how you
should 'eat up your veg because it's good for you'? 'Meat and two veg'
etc?

Listening to the advice and heeding it is one thing; finding it anything
other than deeply unpleasant is another.

When I asked someone if they actually liked the taste of Brussels
sprouts they told me how I could cook them with other stuff to make
them taste nice / hide the taste. Given you couldn't (shouldn't) eat
/ digest meat without cooking it, the principals / issues aren't that
different.

Meat is one of those items that doesn't have to be cooked with other
things. It already has a lovely flavour. The flavour has been programmed
into our genes and signifies it is necessary as part of a healkhy diet.

I do eat veg - probably not far
short of the recommended five portions a day.

You know it makes sense. You are an omnivore with a bias on fruit /
veg / nuts after all.

Quite, and as part of a natural balanced diet we would eat meat and meat
products.

I just don't enjoy it - it
spoils an otherwise nice meal.

So you would *just* eat meat, given the chance? Do you have any
dependants or children OOI? Anyone who might care if you got bowel
cancer, suffered heart disease or T2 diabetes?

If he had, I am sure they wouldn't be subjected to fanaticism and other
mental health issues from a B12 deficiency.

obviously I wouldn't know what meat tastes like to compare with.

Quite ... but I wasn't 'raised a vegetarian or vegan' and I did 'like'
the taste of meat but I like the idea that I'm no longer killing and
exploiting animals even more.

Ah, I wasn't sure what your history was.

Ok.

OK so we both like(d) meat,

Yup.

but for
you the ethics of not harming animals was more important than liking meat,

I was brought up to love, protect care for all animals and had a
Guinea-pig as a child (not my idea) and tropical fish, and we always
had dogs (mostly whippets). I also rescued a Rock dove when I was
about 15, built it a safe roost at home, nursed it to heath and it
lived (free) with us for a couple of years (before flying away when we
went on a family holiday).

whereas for me it's the opposite way round.

But are you saying that your liking for meat is so great you would
pull the trigger on the heads of a calf with a bolt gun then cut it's
throat, or send a pig into a gas chamber and watch it squeal and
desperately try to escape ... before watching them have their throats
cut and their guts spilled out?

There really is no need, from being a social animal, a higher species,
gets someone else to do the deed for us. I don't see you fifhgint in the
armed forces, or are you happy for someone else to do the deed of
killing for you?

We all have different
priorities.

I bet we (you and I) don't (you can't include the trolls, psychopaths
or those with a history / vested interest in the whole process).

The only trolls and psychopaths are the ones that start topic like these.

I bet inside you know your choices aren't right and you would rather
animals didn't have to suffer and die, just to satisfy your taste
buds?

So why wouldn't you put some effort into looking into alternatives?

Q. Do you do your own shopping?

Q. Do you do your own cooking?

Q. If you do the / some cooking, do you have to cook for anyone else?

Q. What are the chances of anyone else in your household being willing
/ interested in reducing the suffering of animals?

Q. Would those same people consider themselves animal lovers?

See, I understand that for many the issue isn't a simple / single one
and so to stand up for their own principals could make things more
difficult / complicated.

We though are open minded people so when daughter decided she had
lived in conflict re her treatment of animals long enough (after
trying to go organic / Red Tractor / RSPCA Assured and realising it
was all marketing bollox) and went vegan in Veganuary 2020, we said we
would support her, for her, for us (and our own long-term conflict)
and the animals.

Does she support you keeping pets? It must cause her great conflict.

It wasn't any issue to do so for any of us because we were all happy
to go along with it and none of us have regretted it for a ms.

As I have said before, our only regret is that we didn't do so sooner.
Part of that was the lack of impetus, easier to carry on doing what
we were doing (which for the last 5 years was not consuming dairy
(doctors orders) and not eating much meat in any case) and the support
for vegan choices across the board, something that is *now* changing
very fast (and not just food).

Just because you aren't actually pulling the trigger or wielding the
knife, you are paying someone to do that for you (and so also putting
the mental burden on them as well), so the blood is on your hands.

So, what sort of food do you like? It can't just be chunks of burnt
animal flesh?

Most of use like a range of foods. Shame you feel the need to imitate
meat and meat products with substandard lookalikes.