Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Micro Adjustment of Table Saw Fence in increments as small as0.001 inch. Demonstrated on SawStop T-Glide

On 3/2/2021 5:15 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
Moving a table saw fence by very small amounts can be hit and miss.
With a dial indicator at the right location on the fence, I found it is
easy to tap the fence and move it by 0.001 inch at a time.
Locate the probe of dial indicator over the fence rail so that dial
indicator does not change when the fence is tightened - see red circle
in photo below.

You do have a SawStop, right?

I have the ICS model and the Fence rule is good enough. Sometimes I use
a steel rule when setting the fence with a stacked dado.

When do you, need more accuracy than that?

A couple of times I have found this fine adjustment helpful:
1. Cutting UHMW runners to fit nicely in the miter slot for floats
2. Cutting mortise and tenon joints on table saw, to get a good fit.

1. You don't need that kind of accuracy for a runner. And you can
sneak up one using a scrap.

2. I have literally build hundreds of kitchen cabinet doors, shaker
style, with a slot and stub tennon. I do not use a rule or the fence
rule at all for cutting the tenons or slots.

For all other work I just use the measuring tape built into the fence
rail. The table saw cut usually gets run over the jointer anyway.

And that is wrong. There is no valid reason to run an edge over the
jointer after cutting to width on a TS. If your TS is not cutting
accurately or leaving tooth marks on your wood you need to spend some
time setting your saw up properly and most of all using a good regular
kerf blade. Like a Forrest WWII.

Video Demonstration:Â* https://youtu.be/MZu0JvW1g3k
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/1cx9

After watching your video, re read what I said again. You are using a
dial indicator to make fence adjustments and yet you are not getting the
correct result. You are having to make extra passes.

If you must use a dial indicator, measure your slot with a caliper and
adjust your fence the correct amount the first time.