Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Objectifying animals. (Inc using their bodies as seats).

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 15:30:28 -0000, "NY" wrote:

snip

For me, there is one principle that trumps all others:

Ok.

I like meat

'Animal flesh'. The flesh taken from an animal that didn't want to die
you mean? Something that was never yours to take in the first place?

and I
hate vegetables.

So just because you happen to like doing something, you think that
justify's you doing it, even when there are victims of those choices?

Maybe if I had been raised a vegetarian or vegan I'd not hate vegetables as
much;

Or if you listened to the advice you will have been given all your
life by all nutrition experts and health professionals re how you
should 'eat up your veg because it's good for you'? 'Meat and two veg'
etc?

obviously I wouldn't know what meat tastes like to compare with.

Quite ... but I wasn't 'raised a vegetarian or vegan' and I did 'like'
the taste of meat but I like the idea that I'm no longer killing and
exploiting animals even more.

Maybe
I'd still hate vegetables,

Why are you going on about 'vegetables' OOI? They aren't the only
alternative to meat ... there are loads of foods that are 'plant
based' that have a similar taste and texture to meat if that's what
you must have and neither look nor taste like the non animals they
were made from?

in which case I may end up living on nuts and raw
carrots/celery (the two vegetables that I like, although as a snack rather
than cooked as an accompaniment to a meal).

See above. I really think you are putting up excuses to try justify
your desire to continue to cause suffering and death of innocent
creatures rather than actually seeing if you could do something else?

Knowing that a vegetarian or vegan diet is healthier and kinder to animals
is very worthy, but it's not enough on its own to persuade me to change.

See above. If your only experience is a very limited one of straight
'vegetables' versus plant based foods then you really aren't in a
position to judge (yet).

like to enjoy my food -

What, and vegans don't?

and I wouldn't enjoy a meat-free diet.

You don't know you wouldn't ... and the only reason why you would
continue a meat based diet is that you don't *actually* GAF about the
suffering and the death of those animals to just happen to desire to
eat? What animals haven't you tried that other eat that you might be
missing out on? Why only eat the ones you have so far?

Maybe I'd eat
less if I was restricted to food that I didn't like, which up to a point
would be a Good Thing ;-)

Well yes, whilst in 'Obese Britain' that generally would be a good
thing, you don't have to 'eat less' or not enjoy food as much, just
because you don't eat animals? I do pretty well all the cooking and
outside of doing a short 'Catering' course when I was 16 and at
college, I'm no chief. However, in the year I've been preparing vegan
food for the two of us there hasn't been a single meal that the Mrs
hasn't fully enjoyed. I am slightly more fussy and possibly because I
have cooked it myself, am aware of those things I could have done
differently / better.

Like last night. Daughter had got us (at my request) some green
lentils because I wanted to have a go at making more stuff from
scratch. So I found a vegan recipe on the net that was the best match
for what ingredients we and the amount of effort required had and gave
it a go. We had 3 pretty tired fresh carrots that I cleaned up and
sliced and added some frozen ones to make up the recommended quantity.
A few small potatoes chopped and some chopped onion and sauted them
all in a big saucepan with a little bit of oil. I added some garlic
powder (didn't have any fresh), then the lentils after draining and
then added 3 of the 6 cups of water I was supposed to add to make up
the stock (with a bit of gravy / bullion). After bringing it to the
boil and simmering it for a while it dawned on me the water was
supposed to be absorbed by the *dry* lentils and the ones from the tin
were already wet so I now had too much liquid. [1] Doh!

So, I added a cup of rice and some frozen small veg, brought it back
to the boil and let it simmer for 10 mins and served it up as a thick
soup / broth. It was actually very nice and we have some left over to
have as-is another day or I'll add something to it, say some chopped
tomatoes and have it on pasta. All good and healthy and nothing like
the 'vegetables' you constantly refer to?

I support keeping animals in the best conditions possible (eg free-range,
not battery hens) while still raising them to eat or to produce milk, eggs,
leather, wool etc.

That's not really helping the main issues though so given your focus
on your own personal pleasures, you might as well (for what actual
good it does the animals in the long run), just buy what you want.
Free range hens are still exhausted in 72 weeks (and are slaughtered)
and we know how bad the dairy industry is, however it's done.
And what was that sheep they found that was carrying 35kg of wool? Do
you think that's natural? Do you think that would have survived this
long as a species like that?

I am opposed to hunting and fishing, except as a source
of food.

What, even when you (the vast majority) don't *need* to kill another
living creature to live a healthy / happy life in 2021?

https://ibb.co/qBTDRrs

Cheers, T i m

[1] To be fair I was also making a batch of vegan peanut butter and
oat cookies at the time so wasn't concentrating fully (and they came
out perfect and are *way* to nice). ;-)