Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default pondering drafting and other "old techs"

On 3/2/2021 6:17 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

Sometimes planning things out in too much detail leads to
the paralysis of analysis. I've got a project right now that
if I had just _done_ it would be long done, but I started
drawing pictures . . .

Indeed also build is intellectual and drawing is practical,
little by little can be a good first approach. Then you
develop your own for or routine, not set in stone hopefully,
but still, it happens quicker the 2nd and 3rd time and so on,
no doubt. And _appears_ to happen even quicker when the mind
and body relaxes...

Soooooo moving forward to using a computer....

Drafting, drawing on a drawing board,is wide open to mistakes. You can
draw accurately but if you wright the wrong dimension you have a massive
problem.

You can even mentally interpret how a view should be draw, and not
knowingly draw that view wrong too.

With manual drawing you have to picture the views, correctly, and then
put that on paper. Again, if you do that wrong, the drawing is wrong
and that translates to your project being wrong.

With a Program such as Sketchup you can draw in 2D or 3D and orbit
around the object you have drawn to see the different views. 99.999% of
the time if the drawing looks correct, it is correct. You have to use
the dimension tool but it fills in the distance. You know exactly at
that point if the line you just drew is correct or incorrect in length.

And mistakes or design changes are very easily and quickly changed.