Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default pneumatic compressor gas tightness question.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 11:07:32 +0000, Lee
wrote:

On 01/03/2021 14:11, T i m wrote:
snip

I have noticed 'leaks' from a couple of places in the past. One being
the water drain screw underneath and the other the pressure release
valve in the starter solenoid or the non return valve.

snip

+1 Mechanic mate just changed both the unload valve and non-return valve
to cure same fault on a compressor.

I'd start with the non-return valve, they are cheap and it's the most
likely to be crudded up. Machine Mart is one of many places to get them,
if you have one handy.

I have a silent (Bambi) 25l compressor on a 25l cylinder compressor
and if left pressurised (and it holds it's pressure for ages (days /
weeks) the non return valve between the piston and the rest of the
system can become stuck (closed).

I just undo the body, release the rubber tip and do it back up and
it's good to go again.

I'm guessing it could easily also become contaminated, not allowing it
to seat properly and so allowing some 'leak past' that you may be
suffering (that wouldn't be traced as a conventional leak from any of
the system etc).

Good luck in your quest. ;-)

Cheers, T i m