Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Abandoned_Trolley Abandoned_Trolley is offline

Default easy way to calibrate audio frequency generator?

On 02/03/2021 05:09, Bennett wrote:
On 3/1/2021 1:09 PM, Tinkerer wrote:
On 3/1/21 2:46 PM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
Tinkerer wrote:

I have a Heathkit ET-3100 electronic design experimenter that has a
very
basic sine/ square wave function generator.Â* Controls all analog and no
scale really.Â* Output is from 200 Hz - 2 Khz on "low" and 2 Khz to 20
Khz on "high".Â* Exact frequency depends on where the pot is adjusted.
How can I calibrate this to be more precise, preferably in a simple
way?

Beat it with mains hum.Â* This should work on the low range and at least
part of the way up the high range.

Not sure what that means, unless you mean a harmonic of 50/60 Hz.Â* It
might be possible to beat by ear if the PC generates the tone and I
adjust the generator until it matches by ear, but I think I'm just
going to use Audacity and/or a DWM with freq ctr as suggested by Phil.

GoogleÂ* Online Music TunerÂ* In the US the note A is generally considered
440HZÂ* This one gives the frequency in HzÂ* https://bit.ly/383gzou

Speaking of which ... I believe some musicians are able to tune their
instruments by using the dial tone from a landline as a reference.

AT