Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT: We are very lucky

On 01/03/2021 22:44, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/03/2021 18:22, williamwright wrote:

But until only about seven generations ago almost everyone died before
they were fifty, and many died in their thirties. Go back further and
few survived beyond their twenties.
So aren't we incredibly lucky?Â* We had a one in 43,000 chance of being
humans who can expect a long lifespan.

The perceived short life of adults was largely due to infant mortality
having a dominant effect of average life expectancy.

Have a look at:
Â* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity

"For example, an 1871 census in the UK (the first of its kind, but
personal data from other censuses dates back to 1841 and numerical data
back to 1801) found the average male life expectancy as being 44, but if
infant mortality is subtracted, males who lived to adulthood averaged 75
years. The present life expectancy in the UK is 77 years for males and
81 for females".

So nothing has really changed.

The days of our years are threescore years and ten;
and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years....