Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default pneumatic compressor gas tightness question.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 23:33:08 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 01/03/2021 14:20, John wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 12:55:05 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , SH
writes
I have a Stanley air compressor with a 25 litre storage vessel.

when I start it, it pumps up to 120 psi and then the motor cuts out.

Over typically 5 minutes, the air pressure will decay slowly to 80 psi
whereby the compressor motor restarts.

This happens when I am not using any air tools.

I have used a can of gas leak detector and tested all unions and joints
and I can confirm there are no leaks.

This then leaves the compressor pump bit itself... are they actually
gas tight or do they have a normal amount of leakage back to the air
inlet port?

I have two compressors with the same feature. I think you are expecting
too much for a modestly priced device. 5 minutes for 40 psi is rather a
lot although the initial pressure will drop as the compressed air cools.

Is your household insurer aware that you have a pressure vessel subject
to annual testing at your home?:-)

My understanding is that the requirement for annual testing is when
the pressure x volume exceeds 250 bar.litres

What about if you have multiple compressors that are individually under
the limit?

In that case as long as they are not linked to form a bigger system
then I think they are all not not subject to mandatory testing.

If these are owned by an employer it may be a case of checking with
the insurer, and also considering carrying out and recording a
systematic in-house check to look for any obvious faults.

Usual disclaimer IANAL.

--
Regards

John