Posted to uk.d-i-y
SH[_4_] SH[_4_] is offline

Default pneumatic compressor gas tightness question.

On 01/03/2021 12:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , SH writes
I have a Stanley air compressor with a 25 litre storage vessel.

when I start it, it pumps up to 120 psi and then the motor cuts out.

Over typically 5 minutes, the air pressure will decay slowly to 80 psi
whereby the compressor motor restarts.

This happens when I am not using any air tools.

I have used a can of gas leak detector and tested all unions and
joints and I can confirm there are no leaks.

This then leaves the compressor pump bit itself... are they actually
gas tight or do they have a normal amount of leakage back to the air
inlet port?

I have two compressors with the same feature. I think you are expecting
too much for a modestly priced device. 5 minutes for 40 psi is rather a
lot although the initial pressure will drop as the compressed air cools.

Is your household insurer aware that you have a pressure vessel subject
to annual testing at your home?:-)

good question but I have never seen any small print to say that domestic
grade compressors must have their pressure vessels checked annually.....

That would also mean party balloons & bicycle tyres would have to be
checked as they are also technically pressure vessels! :-)