Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 22:57:22 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

snip

Not very environmentally friendly to drive to the recycling centre to
dispose of a single CFL; or remote control; or toaster; or any of the
other "small electricals".

Quite, and why I'm hoping most people wouldn't and would only *drive*
them there when going past or there with a general load.

All right for something big like a TV.

I generally take stuff to pieces before disposing of it because:

1) I am likely to already have it open for faultfinding and so I might
retain some of the components for my own use / spares.

2) It means I can then better recycle the stuff, plastics in with the
(hard) plastics, metal in the metals etc.

3) I can sell PCB's to a recycler of such (who reclaim the solder and
precious metals etc). The local scrap yard also pays a couple of guide
for motors, as out of a washing machine etc [1].

4) I like to see how stuff was built.

The last thing I took to bits was a 40" plasma monitor and I was
amazed just how packed full of stuff it was (and explained why it was
so heavy)! It added a load of (lowish grade unfortunately) PCB's to
the box for when I go near the recyclers next and I also got some nice
ally sheet, some insulator material sheet and a small box of screws.
;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Our old conventionally vented tumble dryer went wrong (again, but
it's very old) a good few months and we just haven't got round to
pulling it out and fixing it. All the small stuff can be dried indoors
in a room with a de-humidifier and daughter has been doing our bed
linen.

The other day I rigged up some dryer rails in the de-humidifier room
that will easily take the bed linen so we really don't need the TD
now.

I'm torn if to just use the fact that the TD is 'broken' to strip and
recycle it and use the space for a small freezer so I can buy a bit
more bulk and cook and freeze more stuff?