Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tinkerer[_5_] Tinkerer[_5_] is offline

Default easy way to calibrate audio frequency generator?

On 3/1/21 2:46 PM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
Tinkerer wrote:

I have a Heathkit ET-3100 electronic design experimenter that has a very
basic sine/ square wave function generator. Controls all analog and no
scale really. Output is from 200 Hz - 2 Khz on "low" and 2 Khz to 20
Khz on "high". Exact frequency depends on where the pot is adjusted.
How can I calibrate this to be more precise, preferably in a simple way?

Beat it with mains hum. This should work on the low range and at least
part of the way up the high range.

Not sure what that means, unless you mean a harmonic of 50/60 Hz. It
might be possible to beat by ear if the PC generates the tone and I
adjust the generator until it matches by ear, but I think I'm just going
to use Audacity and/or a DWM with freq ctr as suggested by Phil.