Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Even Nuclear Reactors in Texas have no cold weather safeguards

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 05:42:20 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:01:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 07:55:29 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
wrote:

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 10:34:36 AM UTC-5, Mike Flannigan wrote in alt.atheism:
davej wrote

"Climate Change?" Humbug! It's just a Libtard hoax! We Texans know
everything!

That's what happens when they hire illegal Mexican labor at $2 a day to build
'em.

Electricity was invented by somee Eurotrash named Tesla or a damn Yankee from
New York, not southern people.

Why back then, they were still nursing their wounds from the Great War of
Northern Agression and trying to figure out how to take care of themselves
without the aid of black slaves.

Why would they need electricity when it was just another progressive fad?

"Nuclear power provides about 11% of Texas electricity. But one of two reactors at the South Texas Project nuclear plant tripped offline on Monday. It was a big plant to lose, costing the state 1.3 gigawatts of power generation, about a quarter of its total nuclear capacity. The cold weather caused a false signal to shut down a feedwater intake, tripping a pump offline and then the entire generating unit."

Forbes - Feb 24, 2021
-- https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-...h=720983405486
It is just what happens when people don't plan on the 100 year weather
event.
We had another great example in the North East when 25 million people
ignored the idea that tropical weather can go up the coast and "almost
a storm Sandy" kicked their ass. 150 people died. I think Texas is
doing a little better than that.

Typical. "almost a storm"

Hurricane Sandy (unofficially referred to as Superstorm Sandy) was the deadliest, the most destructive, and the strongest hurricane of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season. The storm inflicted nearly $70 billion (2012 USD) in damage and killed 233 people across eight countries from the Caribbean to Canada.

Also, I would submit that state authorities have far more ability to control what
it's utilities do than they do to somehow get private citizens to redo 100 years
of construction.

I agree about the damage but it was hitting unprotected structures and
unprepared people.
It was still just a tropical storm when it got to New Jersey, not even
a hurricane. I had a Cat 3 eye come over my house (Irma). All I had
was tree damage but I am built to a 150 MPH wind code, not that poorly
enforced 80 you folks use up north. You have virtually zero uplift
protections. Houses blew off their foundations or were lifted by
rising water. Builders up there assume all load is down and the weight
of the structure is more than enough to counteract shear.

The vast majority of the catastrophic damage here was due to flooding,
not wind.

What will you do if you get something like the 1938 storm, a real Cat
3 running right up the Jersey shore and into Long Island?

Same thing that happened with Sandy, same thing that has happened in FL
many times, have a lot of damage. What happened in Homestead, FL, for
example?

One of the things I find interesting is that 6 of the directors of TX ERCOT or whatever
their state electric regulating authority is called, resigned. None of them lived in
TX. Yet that big dope Abbott comes out swinging, trying to blame alternative energy
for the massive failure. From what I see, it was far more attributable to failure
of fossil fuel plants and nukes, to ERCOT estimating a worse case demand wrong,
it turned out to be 30%+ higher and to TX choosing not to be connected to national
grids. Even some of the alternative energy failure was due to windmills freezing
because they chose not to pay extra for the cold options. And sadly when you have
a jerk governor spewing BS and lies, it quickly gets picked up by the usual bunch,
including Qanon, because it's what they want to hear and they can spin it into
another conspiracy claim.

They were seriously unprepared but they did not plan on it getting
this cold for this long. The parallels are striking tho.

I don't know that the failure had much to do with the duration of the cold.
The cold came and within a day or so they failed, isn't that what happened?
The biggest two factors I've heard so far was that they underestimated
peak demand by 30% or more. That's not a time dependent thing, if you
don't have the capacity, you don't have it, all it has to do is get cold enough
to exceed your capacity. The frozen windmills, if it's cold and freezing
rain, they freeze up, it doesn't take a week. Natural gas lines, not sure about,
but I would suspect that what froze was above ground and it didn't take very
long to freeze that either. Some of this seems really stupid too, like the
nuke going offline because of a sensor on the intake being frozen or
something? You would think there would be plenty of warning, that the
operators could have seen it happening, fix it, solve it, before it went offline
or failing that quickly get it going again. At least they didn't Chernobyl it.
I suppose if they did though, Abbott would be blaming that on alternative
energy too.