Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 28/02/2021 21:20, Vir Campestris wrote:
My point is not that nuclear is 100% safe. It's just that it doesn't
destroy the climate, stop at night or when the weather is wrong, nor
have the risks that the Chinese demonstrated so nicely.

Neither do coal or gas.

Of course its possible that one day a protester might fall off the roof
of a nuclear power station and kill themselves, but that is as far as
its likely to go in this country.

IMHO It's the least bad alternative. Fusion would be better, especially
H-H fusion, not least because the waste is short life and there's no
fuel problem. But I'm not going to hold my breath for that.

No fuel problem on fission either, for the next 10,000 years

Show me a viable safe alternative and I'll be campaigning outside Sizewell.

Well exactly.

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy