Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Chimney Bricks flaking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:43:41 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 05:19:15 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 21:03:26 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

What is happening to my chimney stack bricks and why?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUwRSEW

It is a non-working chimney though I don't know if that has always been
the case.

How do I fix it?

Light a fire and dry out the bricks.

And in that vein, is there an airbrick or other form of ventilation at
the bottom end of the chimney where the fireplace used to be, to help
keep it dry, or is it sealed completely?

But as others have said, the underlying problem is poor quality
bricks.

If there was an airbrick it's been plastered over.

Most of the estate uses the same bricks, same house design and and
look around at their chimneys doesn't show the problem but most of
them are not painted. I'd be sceptical about the bricks being poor as
a cause.

The area is a smoke free zone so no-one is using their chimney's for
solid fuel though I don't know if anyone is using them as a flue for a
gas fire.

This house has had some wierd things done - I've mentioned elsewhere I
blame the Italians who were the owners before the ones I purchased
from. The side of the house, as the photo shows, as an extension so
the outside of the chimney is now on the inside of the extension.

I think I'm going to have to get someone to have a more professional
look at it.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?