Renata

Default Commercial range in residence, and other appliances

Friend went thru trying to use a commercial cooktop (gas) in the house
he was building. Particularly, he want at least one high BTU burner.
Two things I recall from his story was it required a larger gas feed,
which required additional hassles on the permit (and probably other
aspects), and a overhead fire extinguisher. All in all, he decided
the extra hassle and cost weren't worth it. He found a Thermador (I
think) cooktop that has a high BTU burner and works reasonably well
apparently. It would seem that they have a lot more choices in the
"semi-pro" appliance lines now days than back then ('bout 15 years
ago) so you may want to consider "compromising" at that (semi-pro)
level rather than going to commercial stuff.

FWIW, get an electric oven(s) and gas cooktop. Electric ovens achieve
a more even level of heat (though gas may nowdays be comparable?).

Renata

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:58:43 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:

We are trying to pick out a range for the kitchen of our new home so that we
can design the kitchen around it. We have been looking at the Thermador and
DCS line of 36" dual-fuel ranges, but balk at spending nearly seven thousand
dollars on it with the options we'd like.

Now I'm leaning toward a commercial gas-only unit, which should save me a
few thousand, but I've been told that the requirements for a commercial unit
installation are quite different from a unit designed for home use. --snip--
JonE