rs

Default Thru-the-wall vs. window A/C

John W. Wells wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:14:04 GMT, rs wrote:
Also, I would be
interested in those "detailed" TTW instructions of the Panasonics!

The instructions were no big deal. I cut a hole through the wall (2x4
studs) including one stud, added horizontal 2x4 pieces at the top and
bottom, forming a completely framed rectangular opening. Then insert
the sheet metal box through the opening, screw it to the top, bottom
and sides of the 2x4 'frame,' slide the A/C unit into the box and
screw it to it.

Repair the drywall, frame the unit with quarter-round or other
moulding, likewise the outside wall. Add the face plate and plug in.

My siding was 5/8" plywood--brick or stucco would have been a bit
harder.

Thanks for the details, sounds like a good job
The difference though, is that your wall is not as think as the one I
intend to put the AC in. Your AC would stick out a lot in the back
(luckily, for it has vents there), whereas mine wouldn't.

If the Panasonics don't work well in an enclosing wall,

I cannot imagine what this means! ??

I tought if it would be possible to enclose the entire AC (except the
back of course) in the sleeve I have, it would essentially become a
'backbreather' model, with its EER dropping. But it sounds like I better
not even try.

Ray