Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Radio Man
wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 11:24:42 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

Especially the possibility for desalination - plonk a few of these
around the parts of the world that need water and consider the
electricity a handy by product

Isn't the electricity /used/ to do the desalination?

Humour fail

Although, come to think of it, no. Well, not necessarily.

Nuclear reactor. Shedloads of serious heat (i.e. 100C) might as
well just distil the seawater. Unless you want to extract metals by
electrolysis I guess ?

It is possible to reclaim desert (or so I have been told) if you can
irrigate and foliate enough area to start releasing water. Although
it has to be *very* big.

The original way salt was extracted from sea water was by natural
evaporation but that was to collect the salt.

In general, it relied on heat from wood or coal fires.

Nope, he's right, it was by natural evaporation in big salt pans.

In Australia - right. In northern Europe wrong.

Nope, it was done in europe that way too.

I once saw, in the cinema, a documentary on Australian
salt . Would people use it if they knew it was collected
using bulldozers and other such mechanical beasts.

Yep, and we do that with stuff like wheat too.
https://groundcover.grdc.com.au/grai...n-storage-tips
Not actually practical to do it with shovels.