Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default PHE says no flu at all

"Paul" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Fredxx
writes
On 25/02/2021 18:03, Rod Speed wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 25/02/2021 14:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:16:47 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Is this because of social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing,
fear or inability to get to a GP, or something else ?

See this article in the Inde -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...d-england-phe-
latest-b1805124.html

Probably a combination. I wonder how the Faragist anti-vaxxer-anti-
maskers will respond to this news, when a grown up has read it to
them ?

Why would being anti-vax or anti mask have anything to do with Nigel
Farage

I think Jethro is confusing an anti-lockdown policy with anti-vaxxer
and anti-mask wearers.

I have just signed the petition requiring only those vaccinated to be
allowed in shops and pubs when lockdown ends,
That would be hard on those who cant be vaccinated
for medical reasons and there are some of those.

Very few, and I would expect with medical issues stopping them visiting
pubs and shops.

As with any legislation there are always justified exceptions.

so I'm wondering what group Jethro is trying to abuse with Farage's
name?

Totally illogical. If you have been vaccinated what have you to fear?

that I'm in the 5% for which it isn't effective

Look at the "two-jab" for inspiration.

The first jab is "hey, wake up in there".

The second jab is "have you seen this before ? OK. React vigorously."

That utterly mangles the real story. The first jab with the
mRNA vaccines sees the body react very vigorously, in fact
much more vigorously than infection with the virus does.

And the reason a half first dose works better with the
Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccination is because the body
has already developed lots of antibodys to the
chimpanzee adenovirus it uses with the first full jab.

Whether your body is trained by a second jab, or is trained by the real
virus entering the body and
training you, the asymptotic result is you're (gradually)
making better responses to it. You may get sick. But
not as sick as the last time. Or not as sick as ever.

Mangled again.

Our bare minimum definition of success is "keep people
out of the intensive care unit and off those ventilators".
That's a start. For all the progress we've made on
improving the ability of people to survive, they're
still using ventilators. That hasn't stopped.

In fact they are used much less than they were initially.

But eventually, we have to keep COVID out of people, period,
because look at the mess it's making of the "long haulers".
People who have survived the virus, who are mentally
confused and don't seem to be improving on their own.
It damages more than lungs and toes... And long term,
we can't afford to be generating a large pool of invalids.

But its only a small subset that get long covid and its
not at all clear if vaccination has any effect on that yet.

In that sense, "survival" is not the same as with seasonal flu. With
seasonal flu, say ten weeks later, you're usually your old self again.
That's not necessarily the case with COVID. Yeah. you're alive. But you're
not yourself, either. Most of the long haulers interviewed, are concerned
they'll never be fixed properly (which might well be true).

So long term, we need to do a better job than just
"keeping people alive but miserable". Preventing the health care system
from being crushed, that's the "low bar" definition of success. And that
seems to be what the vaccination gives so far.

It is also clear that for most, a covid infection is no
worse than the common cold, just a minor nuisance.

There was yet another variant in the news yesterday.
Properties - unknown. Not enough data yet.

But no evidence that its any worse than the dozens
of variants we have seen already. There are only 3
that are serious worse.