Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Working at heights - regulations

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

When my mother had her soffits and gutters replaced a couple of years back
the same type of arrangement was used.

Do you need a hard hat it you are the one at the top dropping items on to
the people below?

That was my initial reaction but then I realised that you could well
be on the ground when you mate dropped a tool on your head.

I never bothered with a hard hat when I built the house, but
then there was never anyone else with tools above me.

On a related issue I watched some crap BBC lifestyle/DIY program the other
morning and everything they did included a warning about wearing a full
filtered mask, safety googles and gloves including putting up an on-screen
warnings where they were showing clips from decades ago when no such
equipment was seen.

Mate of mine is just having a house built by a builder on one of
3 big new things we call subdivisions and you lot call estates.

They all have silly 6' high mesh barriers around will be the fence line.
Very silly requirement given that anyone can walk thru them and the
builders people obviously do that all the time.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpwgeog8qd..._2783.jpg?dl=0