Jim Mc Namara

Default Commercial range in residence, and other appliances

Hey Jon,
I was watching HGTV over the weekend and one of the discussions was the use
of commercial ranges in a residence. The BTU's are a lot higher than the
residential demands, so the larger gas line is a must. Since the units are
hotter than others, additional clearance is required from adjacent
cabinetry, a *very efficient* exhaust hood to remove the excessive heat,
etc.

However . . .

There are two types of "commercial" gas ranges available for residential
useage. One is strictly commercial (with all the ups and downs described
above.) The other is called a "Pro" line - has all the appearances of the
commercial line (stainless, legs, etc.) but only draws approximately the
same BTU's as the residential unit. The burners are more efficient and the
insulation on the oven is of a higher grade. You might want to to go
www.hgtv.com and have a look. If I can remember the show, I'll bump you
back. Good luck with the new place . . .

Jim Mc Namara

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
. net...
We are trying to pick out a range for the kitchen of our new home so that

we
can design the kitchen around it. We have been looking at the Thermador

and
DCS line of 36" dual-fuel ranges, but balk at spending nearly seven

thousand
dollars on it with the options we'd like.

Now I'm leaning toward a commercial gas-only unit, which should save me a
few thousand, but I've been told that the requirements for a commercial

unit
installation are quite different from a unit designed for home use. What
are they, has anyone done it, and does it void the warranty? I have

plenty
of experience *using* commercial-grade appliances, but zero experience in
installation and building/code requirements.

I suppose I should be asking this question relative to the other

appliances
we would like to have in-kitchen - namely, all commercial products.
Specifically, a fast-cycle commercial dishwasher, under-counter
installation, and a remote compressor refrigerator/freezer unit. The

house
is in the planning stages now, and we are concentrating our design of the
main floor around the kitchen. The cabinets will all be full custom to
accommodate our current and anticipated future cookware and dishes, and we
are gadget freaks as well. So, it is only fitting that we pick out the
appliances first and design the remainder of the kitchen around them. Any
suggestions, folks that have commercial units in your house, what do you
like?

JonE