John W. Wells

Default Thru-the-wall vs. window A/C

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:14:56 GMT, rs wrote:

Hi all,

I recently moved into a 1BR walk-up in New York which comes "equipped"
with a hole/sleeve in the wall for air conditioners.

The hole is 24.5 x 14.5, and I found the idea of putting an AC in there
rather attractive: tucked away, leaving the window space intact, and
probably quite soundproof.

However, I was surprised to see the market's offerings. While window
units are cheap, effective (eer ~11), and come with remote controls,
thru-the-wall units seem to be a few generations behind.

So, my question is: are TTW units really such a bad value, or am I
missing something?

*I* must be missing something! I installed a couple small "window"
units in my house three years ago--through the wall. Had to fashion
my own holes/sleeves in order to preserve the windows.

I didn't know there WAS such a thing as a TTW unit. My window units
(Panasonics, highly rated by Consumer Reports) came with detailed TTW
instructions, plus various bits and pieces for window installation,
which of course, I didn't use.

--John W. Wells

Ray