AJ

Default Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive?

I do have a buying agent, who happens to be a family friend which I am
now realizing isnt the best idea for business. She is the one who
orderd the inspection from this company.

The home as far as I know is a Modular Home built by Kaufmun and Broad
in 1988. It looks completely like a real house and has everything a
house does. The last two times it sold it increased in vaule ALOT, Im
not saying this will happen again, Im just saying it has not
depreciated. here is a picture of the front, doesnt look mobile to me.

http://64.80.121.120/private/house/images/IMG_0792.jpg

Any one have any more suggestions for me on what I should do, I really
like the rest of the house. Is rubber roofing the way to go to replace
this, how long will it last? I read that the rolled roofing only lasts
like 10 years?

Thanks guys

"JsWalker LazenbyJr" wrote in message ...
I'm differing to a roofer for any idea of cost or method of
replacement.

But, I have to comment on two things in particular: a. the
seller's failure to disclose a temporary repair of a bad
roof; and b. the lack of "comments" in the provided place
in FYI's report to you.

What appears to you to be concrete (I assume you haven't
seen any more than we have, being the photos, which are a
bit fuzzy) appears to me to be a visible portion of an older
built-up tar and gravel roof under the rolled roofing, which
has blown off. I would hazard an opinion that this built-up
roof (which may be slag or marble or any other "gravel" and
not actually gravel) failed. It was used initially due to
the very shallow pitch (slope) of the roof. Still used
today but this looks like an ideal application for a rubber
roof. I would guess applying the rolled roofing over the
built-up roof destroyed what integrity was left in the old
roof. If it leaked before, I can imagine it is more sieve
than roof by now. The rolled roofing was a patch, not a
roof, and the building inspector should have so advised you
(except he probably doesn't know any more about roofing than
you do . . . or, just enough more to be especially
dangerous, which is more likely).

I don't know the area of the roof section in question.
$3,000 sounds almost reasonable, but there is no question in
my mind that there was deliberate deception on the seller's
part and either that or gross incompetence on the
inspector's part.

I'd see what remedies are available against the seller for
misrepresentation of the product (which is illegal as well
as not a nice thing to do and is a business tort, which
means criminally prosecutory). And, I'd demand my
inspection fee back from FYI. (I love that name! Not too
original, but creative, sorta like the report and advice
that cost wouldn't be too much.) Who recommended or hired
the inspector, the broker representing the seller? If so,
you might consider complaining on that score. If you
indicate you are going to make a formal complaint, I don't
think you'll have any problem with a refund of inspection
fee, if you paid it. If you didn't pay it, you might have
action against FYI for misrepresentation as well.

Depends on how much you want the house. Don't accept a cash
settlement. Specify that the existing "roof" be removed,
the roof sheathing replaced as necessary, and a new "rubber"
roof or suitable built-up roof be installed at the seller's
expense, receipts and releases of liens delivered to you as
a condition of closing. If the seller agrees, I suggest you
find out what difference in cost for rubber vs built-up
roofing and pay the difference if it isn't too much and you
can afford it. Or, considering the mess they seem to have
caused, with their full knowledge, you might just insist on
a rubber roof, period.

Good luck.

(Oh, yes. Did you have a buyer's broker representing you?
Was there even a broker involved? This is the very thing a
broker must advise you of. Ignorance is no excuse. Stand
tall. It appears from what you have posted that you are,
indeed, an aggrieved party and should demand a cure
satisfactory to you.

Jim
"AJ" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

I hope some one can help me with my questions on rolled

roofing (or
roofing in general). I am in the process of buying my

first house and
upon inspection we have found out that the rolled roofing

is blowing
off and has caused leakage on the inside when it rains.

The inspected
made it seem like it fairly minor in cost to repair, but

after looking
at the pictures it seems pretty serious, but Im not

roofing expert.
Can any one comment the looks of these pictures, I notice

there is
concreat in one of the pictures does any one know why that

would be?

HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF SAID ROOF:

http://64.80.121.120/private/house/roof1.jpg
http://64.80.121.120/private/house/roof2.jpg

Please estimate how much it would cost to repair (I know

you cant be
sure because you cant see it but give it your best shot).

The seller did not disclose this to me on the discloser

form but we
did ask for help with closing costs where she did credit

me "$3000
(ie, closing costs, roof repair") which I did not notice.

What do you think I should do, does this make or break the

deal?
Should I call it off, any input on this would be great.

How would this be repaired?

Thank you so much,

email