Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 25/02/2021 17:39, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:36:22 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

On 24/02/2021 14:37, T i m wrote:
[quoted text muted]

Both planes and rockets have the same problems: control system failure,
pilot error, mechanical fault can all lead to loss of control, which
tends to mean plummeting from the sky (or with rockets, exploding). They
also tend to have everything under software control (albeit multiple
systems).

There's no failsafe for those

Nuclear power plants have hard-wired, mechanical or passive safety
systems, that continue to work, even if the control systems go wrong or
operators do things that they should not (similar would be too bulky and
heavy for aircraft).

There is for power stations, and railways ...

I rather think that those were the points that I was making -
particularly as I also mentioned the effect of gravity when things go wrong.