Speedy Jim

Default Commercial range in residence, and other appliances

Jon Endres, PE wrote:

We are trying to pick out a range for the kitchen of our new home so that we
can design the kitchen around it. We have been looking at the Thermador and
DCS line of 36" dual-fuel ranges, but balk at spending nearly seven thousand
dollars on it with the options we'd like.

Now I'm leaning toward a commercial gas-only unit, which should save me a
few thousand, but I've been told that the requirements for a commercial unit
installation are quite different from a unit designed for home use. What
are they, has anyone done it, and does it void the warranty? I have plenty
of experience *using* commercial-grade appliances, but zero experience in
installation and building/code requirements.

I suppose I should be asking this question relative to the other appliances
we would like to have in-kitchen - namely, all commercial products.
Specifically, a fast-cycle commercial dishwasher, under-counter
installation, and a remote compressor refrigerator/freezer unit. The house
is in the planning stages now, and we are concentrating our design of the
main floor around the kitchen. The cabinets will all be full custom to
accommodate our current and anticipated future cookware and dishes, and we
are gadget freaks as well. So, it is only fitting that we pick out the
appliances first and design the remainder of the kitchen around them. Any
suggestions, folks that have commercial units in your house, what do you
like?

JonE

Give a call to the town/city bldg dep't for specific requirements.
I would expect the high heat output capacity may require ducted
hood w/fire suppression.

Find out what gas line pressure is needed and have someone
calculate the pipe size req'd and ask the utility if the
meter can supply the load.

Jim