Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default BONDO: Any Way To Lengthen Set-Up Time ?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 24 Feb 2021 16:31:02 +0000,

wrote:

Been trying to do that for years on body work. Only way I have found this to Chill it and that only helps a bit. Less hardener it’s OK but be careful it may not set at all Why the manufacturer can’t accomplish this I’m not sure.

Chilling it sounds good.

I drove over a chrome strip on my way to work and put a hole in the gas
tank. Another guy coming to work at the same place pointed the leak out
to me. At lunch I got someone to take me to an autoparts store and I
bought a kit, but in the hot summer afternoon after 4:30, it started to
set before I got in on! (I had to put in some fiberglass screen also,
included in the kit.)

Bought another kit on the way home and next mroning put it in the
freezer iirc for about 15 or 20 minutes. Maybe overnight in the fridge
section would have been more reliable? It was already hot out at 8AM,
but the stuff mixed well and the tank didn't leak for 4 years.

Then I took the car to be painted and it started leaking the afternoon I
brought it home. From paint fumes? Painter said, Not my fault. Didn't
really matter because another kit only cost ~$10

Bought another kit, this time it wasn't hot out, 60 or 70, and the
second kit lasted at least 3 years, when I got rid of the car.