Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

On 24/02/2021 15:50, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/02/2021 15:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/02/2021 15:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/02/2021 11:03, Steve Walker wrote:

That would be so useful for domestic situations. I put sockets, in
sufficient numbers, in useful locations, but over the years,
re-arrangements have left most of them behind furniture!

Nothing stopping you using dado or skirting trunking at home... if
you like that boxy PVC aesthetic :-)

The version IĀ* was referring to includes busbars, so sockets can be
positioned anywhere, later on, without any wiring. So sockets sit in
the front of the trunking. When used as skirting, it'd fall foul of
Part M of the building regulations, requiring sockets to be at or
above 400mm.

Okay, you could put it in a room, without triggering part M, but doing
the lot would suddenly put it into coming under part M and its height
requirement.

So long as it was into an existing building and not a new build, then it
would be outside the scope of part M if not making it any worse than
before.

Arguably it is making it worse. For instance my sockets are a little
under 1' from the floor and putting sockets on skirting-trunking would
lower them even further from the recommended height.

(and in *your* domestic setting, you probably are not going to invite
the part M police to investigate!)

Oh indeed. Just as I didn't invite them in when I replaced a large
section of ceiling in my son's bedroom, after a leak brought it down.
It's already insulated and I did not want to get into having to improve
the insulation or demonstrate why it was not practicable to do so.

The particualar one I saw was meant to be used as dado, but would have
been good as skirting too - and looked a lot better for home use than
the majority of ones that I have seen.

Presumably, having bus bars made it significantly more expensive and
time consuming to install?

More expensive and time consuming to install than normal skirting, but
quicker than normal skirting plus chasing and making good walls for new
sockets.