Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/02/2021 20:25, Fredxx wrote:
On 23/02/2021 19:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 19:06:15 UTC, undefined wrote:
After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
I know it's a tall order but still I may as well ask...

Is there any clever way of getting a cable through a hidden stud
behind plasterboard? I want to feed a lamp from a switch mounted
on an internal dry-lined wall but unfortunately there's one piece
of timber between the switch and the light.

It's a very low current requirement, 3.5 watts at 240 volts so
something like 15mA.
If it's near the ceiling, you can drill through, but other than
that...

You need to make a hole in the PB, over the level of the stud, get
the cable through, then fill the hole.

If it is a stud you are trying to pass cable through then you little
option but to cut out a small section of plasterboard across the
stud. You can then either notch the stud or drill though it to pass
the cable. You then need to cover the cable notch with one of these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-...-20-pack/30038

That's very expensive for a plate that is just 1mm thick.Â* I thought
mechanical protection outside a safe-zone needed to be 3mm?

If the cable run is horizontal or vertical from the fitting or switch
then it is automatically in the safe-zone and only needs RCD protection.

For the sake of one additional cable in a house full of existing
non-protected cables, would you really bother in your own home though?
Especially where adding an RCD might mean changing the whole CU.

OP here, you have to be quite inventive to run a cable that's *not*
horizontal or vertical from a fitting surely! :-)

Anyway I replaced my CU about a year ago and it's all RCBO now.

--
Chris Green
·