Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

On 24/02/2021 11:03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/02/2021 10:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/02/2021 20:45, GB wrote:
On 23/02/2021 20:30, Chris Green wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 19:06:15 UTC, undefined wrote:
After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
I know it's a tall order but still I may as well ask...

Is there any clever way of getting a cable through a hidden stud
behind plasterboard? I want to feed a lamp from a switch mounted on
an internal dry-lined wall but unfortunately there's one piece of
timber between the switch and the light.

It's a very low current requirement, 3.5 watts at 240 volts so
something like 15mA.
If it's near the ceiling, you can drill through, but other than
that...

You need to make a hole in the PB, over the level of the stud, get
the
cable through, then fill the hole.

If it is a stud you are trying to pass cable through then you
little option
but to cut out a small section of plasterboard across the stud. You
can
then either notch the stud or drill though it to pass the cable.
You then
need to cover the cable notch with one of these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-...-20-pack/30038

If you cut the PB with a multi tool at an angle of 45deg around the
edges
the piece can simply be replaced using some filler to both glue it
in place
and to make good.

The trouble is I'm not sure we have the same/original coloured paint.

You've made my day.Â*

It's possible (and I think flying pigs are involved) that you can
remove the switch and backbox, and drill diagonally through the stud.
Somehow feed a cable through and fish it from the other side.

Or, you can repaint the wall.

The other possibilities are to drill straight through the wall - you
haven't said what's the other side. A cupboard would be good!

Or drop a cable down and run it behind a skirting board. Then somehow
fish it up to where you want it. That might actually work.

although not a "permitted" cable route unless there were already some
electrical accessory positioned in the skirting.

I've often thought that it would be very useful (ignoring Part M) to use
industrial type systems at home. You can buy cable ducting that looks
like skirting, but slightly deeper and contains protected busbars and
separate compartments for other cabling. Adding a socket means nothing
more than popping off a cover, cutting a section out of it, clipping it
back and clipping a socket into the gap.

That would be so useful for domestic situations. I put sockets, in
sufficient numbers, in useful locations, but over the years,
re-arrangements have left most of them behind furniture!

Nothing stopping you using dado or skirting trunking at home... if you
like that boxy PVC aesthetic :-)

(actually it can look ok if painted - I had one customer that painted
all theirs matt black to match the floor - looked ok, although they did
paint over all the socket numbers as well, which made patching out stuff
harder!)

--
Cheers,

John.