Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purposed Hivac Neon

So what exactly was the neon doing?
I well recall the early Bush colour tvs which when you looked in the back
had glowing neon's used as voltage regulators.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"pinnerite" wrote in message
news:20210223181304.b4e40cb7b10e2a4cf9b61171@gmail .com...
I must have had it since 1969 or 1970. It was a sample neon made by Hivac
Ltd.
I found it while repacking all my electronic components and modules prior
to downsizing, many not touched since the 1970s.

While working on an old record player. The motor had stopped. I could not
tell whether the 4-way power strip into which it was plugged was working
or not as the neon wasn't illuminated. The fuse was OK so it had to be the
neon.

Having only seen the Hivac sample a day or two earlier, I retreived it
used it to replace the duff one. Perfect!

I never chuck nuts and bolts away .... or sample neons. It pays off
eventually.

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.