Posted to uk.d-i-y
S[_5_] S[_5_] is offline

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

On 24/02/2021 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
S wrote:

The other possibilities are to drill straight through the wall - you
haven't said what's the other side. A cupboard would be good!

No, it's the landing.

If its the landing, then you have a loft above the landing ceiling?

Then do what I did, go into loft, drill an access hole in the top wall
plate, get a drill extnder bar, (I used 5 x 300 mm extender bars to give
me 1.5 m long bar and put the wood bit at the end of that.

Feed that through the hole you've just drilled and then drill the second
hoel in teh noggin/dwang.....

Simples :-)

Hmmm! It's a long way down from the ceiling, like 6ft or so. And
it's close under the eaves too.

Not a problem.....

I use an Angle drill like this one:

https://www.howetools.co.uk/media/ca...image_8943.jpg

Then I then assemble the extender bars one by one as I feed them
through the top hole....

Fiddly and you do run the risk of accidentally dropping the part
assembled into the cavity while you're trying to assemble or dismantle.

You also need to drill an access 2nd hole in the top plane so you can
get an endscopic light and camera in (so you can see where the end of
the drill bit is located on the nogging before you drill and to check
for obstructions like pipes, cables or even insulation!

like this one:

https://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/12636...1286536470.jpg.

As for lighting, a 5mm white LED on some bell wire powered by a battery
pack is useful!