Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

GB wrote:
On 23/02/2021 21:12, Chris Green wrote:
It's possible (and I think flying pigs are involved) that you can remove
the switch and backbox, and drill diagonally through the stud. Somehow
feed a cable through and fish it from the other side.

It's actually slightly easier than that, the stud is closer to the
destination than to the switch so the switch doesn't need to be
removed to get drill access. I can (maybe) drill diagonally from the
destination through the stud. We'll see.

I'm sitting on the edge of my chair. Popcorn in hand.

I'll report on my success or otherwise!

Or, you can repaint the wall.

The other possibilities are to drill straight through the wall - you
haven't said what's the other side. A cupboard would be good!

No, it's the landing.

Do you have the landing paint? ))

I doubt it, though the landing is more towards the 'magnolia' sort of
thing so might be easier to approximate.

Really, you are making the case for a steerable drill. That exists for
drilling shale, but not, alas, for DIY work at home. Without that, you
have to see what you can do drilling in a straight line.

Yes, I used to work for an oil company, they can steer their drills
can't they.

--
Chris Green
ยท