Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

Radio Man wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 February 2021 at 19:06:15 UTC, undefined wrote:
After serious thinking Chris Green wrote :
I know it's a tall order but still I may as well ask...

Is there any clever way of getting a cable through a hidden stud
behind plasterboard? I want to feed a lamp from a switch mounted on
an internal dry-lined wall but unfortunately there's one piece of
timber between the switch and the light.

It's a very low current requirement, 3.5 watts at 240 volts so
something like 15mA.
If it's near the ceiling, you can drill through, but other than that...

You need to make a hole in the PB, over the level of the stud, get the
cable through, then fill the hole.

If it is a stud you are trying to pass cable through then you little option
but to cut out a small section of plasterboard across the stud. You can
then either notch the stud or drill though it to pass the cable. You then
need to cover the cable notch with one of these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-...-20-pack/30038

If you cut the PB with a multi tool at an angle of 45deg around the edges
the piece can simply be replaced using some filler to both glue it in place
and to make good.

The trouble is I'm not sure we have the same/original coloured paint.

You can buy remote switches which dont require wires and look like normal
switches more or less. Try Amazon.

They have a battery in the switch and a module at the light fitting.

That's not the issue, I need to get electricity to the light fitting.

--
Chris Green
ยท