Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted - a way to get a cable through a hidden stud

On 23/02/2021 17:35, Chris Green wrote:
I know it's a tall order but still I may as well ask...

Is there any clever way of getting a cable through a hidden stud
behind plasterboard? I want to feed a lamp from a switch mounted on
an internal dry-lined wall but unfortunately there's one piece of
timber between the switch and the light.

It's a very low current requirement, 3.5 watts at 240 volts so
something like 15mA.

Not that I know of. You'll need to remove a small strip of plasterboard,
drill the stud and feed the cable through, and then glue the
plasterboard back in place, and beautify the edges with a bit of filler.

The strip only needs to be about 1" wide x thickness of stud + an inch
or so either side. You can drill through at an angle, or even cut a slot
in the stud. May not comply with the latest regs - but it will work!
--
Cheers,
Roger