Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default OT. 2/23/45 Marines and a Flag

On 2/23/2021 1:23 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.military.com/history/6-reasons-why-battle-of-iwo-jima-so-important-marines.html

I just finished the book, "Indianapolis" which describes its battles in
the Pacific and its sinking. Japanese would fight to the death. Besides
kamikaze pilots they had kaiten maned suicidal torpedoes. The Japanese
submarine that sank the Indianapolis used conventional torpedoes and
spared his kaiten men who were wanted to go.

They knew they were going to be defeated but wanted a brokered peace
with end of hostilities but leaving them in control which we refused.

The Indianapolis transported the first atomic bomb to the Pacific. We
could have defeated them without using it but might have lost 300,000
men in doing so.