Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dissolving olive oil

On 22/02/2021 14:45, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/02/2021 12:18, RJH wrote:
On 22 Feb 2021 at 08:31:57 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 21/02/2021 17:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Â* The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :
Â* mechanical abrasion

Â* NOTHING dissolves *really* burnt fat
Â* It seems to have a black coating, maybe supposed to none-stick, so
Â* mechanical abrasion would wreck that.

Now you understand why I never buy 'non stick' items
They don't work and cannot be cleaned

I've seen this comment a few times. IME, they do work, and can be
cleaned very
easily with a wipe of a damp cloth.

Cheap non-stick, the surface flakes off quite easily. Not sure why.

I don't think that the price makes as much a difference as might be
thought. The expensive pans often seem to rely on their names, and it
depends where they are made. I bought a fairly expensive "Swiss" branded
frying pan which was rubbish. When I checked the sleeve, I found it was
"Made in China".

My better pans (Tefal) are 10 years + and still 'work' and the coating
looks
intact, although I only occasionally put them in the dishwasher, and
don't use
metal utensils with them (just silicone or wood).

I have a couple of non-stick 3-saucepan sets bought from Argos about 40
years ago. They were towards the cheaper end of their ranges (Miller?),
but I still use five of them. In a couple the surface is pretty much as
intact as when it was new.

Why do old PTFE-coated pans seem to last so much longer than newer ones?
Is the coating no longer PTFE, but perhaps something else which isn't as
nasty when it gets too hot, decomposes, and releases toxic gases? Or
perhaps it is different materials used in the manufacture of the coating.

Of the non-sticks, the stainless steel frying pan is very difficult to
fry
with and avoid sticking/burning. A small Le Crueset frying pan can be
persuaded to cook non-stick, but it's hit and miss for me - I don't
always
remember the required incantations.

But it's good for developing arm muscles! Le Creuset stuff is very heavy.

I have absolutely no problem in cooking non stick with stainless and
with cast iron

the secret is hot oil before anything goes in...

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain